Aug 12, 2008

And So it Begins

Opening day: The first day teachers are required to be at work. A day where the ENTIRE district gathers to celebrate the opening of school. We sit in the newest school inthe district and listen for at least two hours maybe three to administrators and then some administrators and a few mor administrators tell us what a great year it's going to be. Meanwhile our classrooms sit without us in them doing what we really need to be doing...putting the finishing touches on the real opening day, the one with the students. I hate opening day and to echo one of my colleagues this wasted morning, "Any day we are at work without teenagers is a wasted day." Yep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. My name is Edgar and I'm an editor at OpposingViews.com, the debate website. Since we both cover education issues, I thought I'd drop you a note. I would've e-mailed you but I couldn't find an address.
See, we're currently having a discussion about whether or not homeschooled kids are at a disadvantage. You can see it here:
http://www.opposingviews.com/questions/are-homeschooled-kids-at-a-disadvantage
Although vetted experts are the ones doing the debating, anyone can contribute by choosing a side and posting comments about the experts' arguments.
Check it out and, if you have the time, let me know what you think at eacosta@opposingviews.com
Thanks!