May 4, 2008

Prom Is Weird

Until last night I had successfully avoided prom and prom related activities. I am no longer a prom as a teacher virgin (he, he). It was a really weird experience.
As one of my fellow prisoners/chaperons/observers of high school exclusive social oddities put it, "this is a little sad with a little uncomfortable yet unavoidable voyeurism mixed in..." For me she nailed exactly what I was thinking all night. I mean, prom is the pinnacle for many of these kids. It marks the end of something they will never get back, and some will spend their lives trying to get "it" back, and none have a clue that this will be their lives. This night, the culmination of the unique American high school experience, is eternal in so many of their minds, they can't see -yet- that they are celebrating of the end of what it is to be a high school student in America. Graduation is kind of the fade to black of high school. at that point we know the story is over and the chapter is closing. But prom somehow tricks kids into thinking that the experience is perpetual, and it's a little sad.
While making these observations and watching the kids parade into the building dressed to the nines, I can't help but feel that we, the teachers don't really belong here. This is not for us, we are intruders into this evening of high school bliss. I did my best to stay out of the way and let them have their celebration. I almost felt that I should avert my eyes as those who do own this night have fun. I think the students would be just as happy to not have us there as they politely shake our hands and smile as we tell them to have fun and that they look great. Maintaining professional distance at what is such a personal experience for the students felt unsettling. My role at school is that of a teacher, one who guides and facilitates. Prom does is not where that belongs so I sit watch uncomfortably. As the last song plays and the Alumnus D.J. calls for the final dance the teacher in me wants to grab the mike and fill my natural role and advise them,

"Smile folks this is the end...try and look around before you leave."

4 comments:

Al Bundy said...

i'm thinking about teaching. good insight.

Smithie said...

Think long and think hard. Mr. Point Break

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

Your presence is all that keeps them from actually doing the nasty on the dance floor instead of merely imitating it. I'm just sayin'.

Smithie said...

True Ms. C but me thinks they just till after anyway...